Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Sebastian New makes a surprising discovery



Sebastian New was a highly esteemed British bassoonist, regularly playing as guest principle bassoonist in the UK's top orchestras. He was principle bassoon player with the Orchestra of Opera North for 25 years. He sadly passed away a year after this article was originally published. We have now amended this article in memory of him.
The Orchestra of Opera North
For 25 years I played on two different Heckels  (a 9000 series & a 7000 series). They were both lovely instruments, nice even sound, fairly good scale etc. Just the sort of thing a lot of players aspire to, particularly if one has not played on a Heckel before. 
Just over a year ago I was browsing the Double Reed Ltd. website and noticed a Moennig compact bassoon for sale. I have always had a nostalgic feeling for the Moennig brand because I had a very good one when I was a student. In fact I did the first 8 years in this business on it and those that didn't know thought it was a Heckel.  
So on a whim I got Oliver of doublereed.co.uk to send this Moennig compact up to me more for sentimental reasons than anything else as I had always regretted selling my original 1960's Moennig.
To cut a long story short I am now playing on this Moennig compact full time. It is just as resonant as my Heckels were, has a huge dynamic range. It is naturally much better in the high register (no need to change crook etc) and the intonation is better in this register too. I used it for a tour of Japan that included 4 rite of springs that just oozed out. The following month I had a couple of Ravel piano concertos where the high e just floated with no problems. Its tenor register is smooth and mellow but concentrated as well so it projects well. The bottom register is beautifully in tune and very flexible. I use this instrument with a Leitzinger MF1 crook.  
I have used this instrument to play guest principal in other UK full time orchestras as well as my own here at Opera North and had no issues whatsoever. 
I suppose the moral of this story is while top brand makes are of course a guide to the quality of an instrument one should keep an open mind as well because there are other 'corkers' out there that could be described as 'one offs' and because they don't have the 'badge' of being a top brand are consequently bargains! 
By the way although these Moennig compacts dating from the old East Germany era are quite rare Oliver has recently sourced another, might be worth a try?
Moennig bassoon gentlemans model
A Moennig compact bassoon

No comments:

Post a Comment